Beetroot and me go back a long way. I have the knack at getting beetroot juice everywhere. So it was with much trepidation that I ventured to create a dye from beetroot!
It is that time of year when you begin to harvest from the garden so I took some beetroot and cooked them separately. Armed with rubber gloves and an apron I chopped them up small and simmered them for an hour. When soft I mashed them and let it cool, strained and bottled the dye ready for my next step.
I used Texel fleece. It had already been washed so I soaked it in warm water then simmered it for in an alum mordant for an hour. Then I transferred it into the dye and simmered for an hour. It was late so I decided to leave it overnight and wash it out in the morning.
It sat in the dye looking a rich red and I thought what a wonderful colour, but after rinsing the dye out I was left with a rich coppery red. I am not sure what everyone else gets, but I was impressed.
I think I will try it next time with a different wool and mordant.
I shall be hand carding it and look forward to spinning it.
And in case you wondered I managed to get beetroot up the tiled wall and the dishcloth looked a remarkable pink. At least the tiles are wipeable. The dishcloth I'm not sure about!!!!